+30 2810 5450 28
+30 2810 545041
+30 2810 545166
- Graduate studies in Chemical Engineering, University of Neuchatel (Switzerland): Diploma in Chemical Engineering (1975).
- Doctoral studies in Organic Chemistry, University of Zurich (Switzerland): PhD in Organic Chemistry (1979). Title of the doctoral dissertation: "Transamidation Reactions on Aminolactames".
- Post-graduate studies in Environmental Chemistry, University of Geneva (Switzerland): Diploma in Environmental Chemistry (1980).
- Research Associate at EAWAG-Swiss Federal Institute for Water Resources & Water Pollution Control, ETH-Zurich (1980-1981).
- Maitre-Assistant at the University of Geneva (1981-1982).
- Research Associate & Lecturer at the Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University (1982-1984).
- "Chargé des Cours et des Recherches", Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of Geneva (1984-1986).
- Assistant Prof. of Chemistry, Univ. of Crete. (1986-1989)
- Associate Professor of Chemistry, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Crete. (1989-1993)
- Professor of Environmental Organic Chemistry, Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of Crete.(1993-present)
Expert - Member of international committees
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the E.U. project "Organic Micropollutants in the Aquatic Environmet" (COST 64b).
- Expert of the UNEP
- Member of European Environmental Research Organisation (EERO)
- Research Proposals:
- European Union (E.U.) DGXII "Environment" & "MAST" Programmes
- Scientific Journals:
- Environmental Science and Technology (ACS)
- Industrial & Engineering Chemical Research (ACS)
- Atmospheric Environment
- Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association
- Journal of Chromatography
- Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (ACS)
- Marine Chemistry
- Organic Geochemistry
- Chemistry of Organic Aerosols
- Atmospheric Input of Biogenic and Anthropogenic Organic Compounds into the Marine Environment.
- Fate of Petroleum Derived Hydrocarbons, PCBs and Surfactants in the Marine Environment.
- Fate of Organic Compounds in Drinking Water during Disinfection , and Waste Water during Treatment.
- Member of the Senate of the University of Crete.
- Member of the Research Committee of the University of Crete.
- Head of the Department of Chemistry, University of Crete.
- Dean of the Faculty of Sciences, University of Crete.
- American Chemical Society
- Association of Greek Chemists
- American Association for Aerosol Research
- American Water Works Association (AWWA)
Important research grants (1992-1998)
- "Atmospheric Input of Natural and Anthropogenic Organic Compounds to the Mediterranean", 170.000 ECU, from EU-SIENCE program. Project Coordinator. (With Dr J. Albaiges, CSIC-CID, Barcelona, Spain and Dr. A.Saliot Labor. de Physique et Chimie Marine, Univ. P. & M. Curie, Paris V). 1992-1994.
- "Disinfection of drinking water and of treated domestic waste water by chlorine and chlorine dioxide", 353.000 ECU, EU-AVICENNE programme, 1994-1996. Project Coordinator. (With TECHNION, Haifa, Israel, and General State Laboratory of Cyprus)
- "Aerosol formation from biogenic organic carbon", 100.000 ECU (for the Univ. of Crete), E.U. Environment and Climate Programme, 1996-1998.
- "Monitoring and prediction of the atmospheric transport and deposition of desert dust in the Mediterranean region", 134.640 ECU (for the Univ. of Crete), E.U. Environment and Climate Programme, 1996-1998.
- "Global Semi-Volatile Organic Compounds", 140 KECU, E.U. Environment and Climate Program, 1998-2001.
- "Analysis and fate of concrete admixtures" 120 KECU, E.U. Environment and Climate Program, 1998-2000.
Peer reviewed publications since 1998
- A. Gogou, M. Apostolaki, E. G. Stephanou, "Determination of organic molecular markers in marine aerosols and sediments: one-step flash chromatography compound class fractionation and capillary gas chromatographic analysis" Journal of Chromatography A, 799, 215-231, 1998.
- I. Kavouras, N. Stratigakis, E. G. Stephanou "Iso- and anteisoalkanes: Specific tracers of environmental tobacco smoke in indoor and outdoor size-distributed aerosols" Environ. Sci. Tech., 32(10), 1369-1377, 1998.
- I. Kavouras, N. Mihalopoulos, E. G. Stephanou, "Formation of Atmospheric particles from organic acids produced by forests" Nature, 395, 683-686, 1998.
- I. Kavouras, N. Mihalopoulos, E. G. Stephanou, "Formation and gas/particle partitioning of monoterpenes photo-oxidation products over forests" Geophysical Research Letters, 26(1), 55-58, 1999.
- I. Kavouras, N. Mihalopoulos, E. G. Stephanou*, "Secondary aerosol formation vs. primary organic aerosol emission: In situ evidence for the chemical coupling between monoterpene acidic photo-oxidation products and new particle formation over forests" Environ. Sci. Technol. 33, 1028-1037, 1999.
- I. Kavouras*, J. Lawrence, P. Koutrakis, E. G. Stephanou, Pedro Oyola Measurement of Particulate Aliphatic and Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Santiago de Chile. Source Reconciliation and Evaluation of Sampling Artifacts, Atmospheric Environment 33, 4977-4986, 1999.
- A. Kampioti And E. G. Stephanou*, Simultaneous determination of halogenated neutral and acidic disinfection by-products in drinking water by closed-loop-stripping extraction and capillary gas chromatography, Journal of Chromatogr. A, 857, 217-229, 1999.
- A. Gogou, I. Bouloubassi, E.G. Stephanou*, Marine Organic Geochemistry of the Eastern Mediterranean: 1. Aliphatic and Polyaromatic Hydrocarbons in Cretan Sea Surficial Sediments, Marine Chemistry 68, 265-282, 2000.
- Kavouras, I.G., Stratigakis, N, Stephanou, E.G.* Chemical characterization of emissions of vegetable-oil process and their contribution to aerosol mass using organic molecular markers approach, Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association 51, 552-561, 2001.
- Kavouras, I.G., Koutrakis, P., Lagoudaki, E., Tsapakis, E., Stephanou, E.G*, Oyola P. D. Von Baer Source apportionment of particulate urban PAHs using exploratory multivariate methods, Environmental Science and Technology 35, 2288-2294, 2001.
- Harrison, D., Hunter, M.C., Lewis, A.C., Seakins, P.W.*, Bonsang, B., Gros, V., Kanakidou, M., Touaty, M., Kavouras, I.G., Mihalopoulos, N., Stephanou, E.G., Alves, C., Nunes, T., Pio, C., Ambient isoprene and monoterpene concentration in a Greek fir (Abies Borissi regis) forest. Reconciliation with emissions measurements and effects on measured OH concentrations, Atmospheric Environment 35, 4699-4711, 2001.
- M. Mandalakis, M. Tsapakis, E.G. Stephanou*, Optimization and application of high-resolution gas chromatography with ion trap tandem mass spectrometry to the determination of polychlorinated biphenyls in atmospheric aerosols, Journal of Chromatography A 925, 183-196, 2001.
- Stephanou E.G.*; Kavouras I.; Mihalopoulos N. Comment on 'Formation of new particles in the gas-phase ozonolysis of monoterpenes' by Koch et al., Atmospheric Environment 34 (2000) 4031-4042), Atmospheric Environment, 35(26), 4523-4524, 2001.
- A. A. Kampioti, E.G. Stephanou*, The impact of bromide on the formation of neutral and acidic disinfection by-products (DBPs) in Mediterranean chlorinated drinking water, Water Research, 36(10), 2596-2606, 2002.
- Kavouras, I.G., Stephanou, E.G.* Gas/particle partitioning and size distribution of carbonaceous aerosol indoor in public buildings, Indoor Air 12, 17-32, 2002.
- Kavouras, I.G., Stephanou, E.G.* Organic primary and secondary aerosol constituents in urban, background marine and forest atmosphere: Comparative study of their particle size distribution. J. Geophys. Res. 107, D8, 10.1029/2000JD000278, 2002.
- M. Mandalakis And E. G. Stephanou*, Polychlorinated Biphenyls Associated to Fine Particles (PM2.5) in Urban Environment of Chile: Concentration Levels and Sampling Volatilization Losses, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 21(11), 2270-2275, 2002.
- M. Mandalakis, M. Tsapakis, A. Tsoga, E. G. Stephanou*, Gas-Particle Concentrations and Distribution of Aliphatic Hydrocarbons, PAHs, PCBs and PCDD/Fs in the Atmosphere of Athens (Greece), Atmospheric Environment 36, 4023-4035, 2002.
- M Tsapakis, E Lagoudaki, E. G. Stephanou*, I. G. Kavouras, P. Koutrakis, P. Oyola And D. Von Baer, The Composition and Sources of PM2.5 Organic Aerosol in two Urban Areas of Chile, Atmospheric Environment 36 3851-3863, 2002.
- M. Mandalakis, E. G. Stephanou* Study of Polychlorinated Biphenyls Atmospheric Concentration over the Eastern Mediterranean Sea, J. Geoph. Res., in press, 2002.
- I. G. Kavouras And E. G. Stephanou* Direct evidence of atmospheric secondary organic aerosol formation in forest atmosphere through heteromolecular nucleation, Environ. Sci. Technol., in press, 2002 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es025811c).
- M. Tsapakis, E. G. Stephanou*, And I. Karakassis, Evaluation of atmospheric transport as a non-point source of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in marine sediments of the Eastern Mediterranean, Marine Chemistry, in press, 2002.
- J. Lelieveld*, H. Beresheim, N. Mihalopoulos, E.G. Stephanou et al. Global Air Pollution Crossroads over the Mediterranean, Science 298 (5594), 794, 2002.
- M. Mandalakis, H. Berresheim & E. G. Stephanou* Direct evidence for PCB destruction in the subtropical troposphere by OH radicals. Enviroν. Sci. Technol., 2002, accepted for publication